Wednesday 6 July 2011

I want to be a world number one:Edwards



West Indies fast bowler Fidel Edwards said he wants to become the number one fast bowler in the world before his career comes to an end.
The 29-year-old Edwards has been the most successful bowler for West Indies in the first two Tests of the current series against India, taking 13 wickets at 19.85 apiece, including five for 76 in the second innings of the second Test at Kensington Oval in his native Barbados.
His performances come on his return to the game, following surgery on a career-threatening back injury that sidelined him for almost two years, and have propelled him into the top 20 in the official Test bowling rankings.
“My aim has always been to be at the top,” he said ahead of the third Test which starts at Windsor Park here on Wednesday.
“Now I’m back, my goal is to be the number one bowler in the world.
“I was away from the game for a few years, and it feels good to be back.
“I’m bowling quite well, and also getting the ball to reverse swing.
“During the time off, I tried to work hard, and I worked a lot to get the ball to reverse swing, now it’s working well for me.”While his mastery of reverse swing has helped him to blow away India’s tail in the first two Tests, Edwards said he was looking for more consistency in his first spell in particular to make an even greater impact.
“I don’t think I have been consistent,” he said. “I am not consistently putting the ball in the right areas.
“I don’t think I am back to my best yet. My pace has been up and down. I could bowl faster and more accurately in my first spell.
More importantly, Edwards said he felt healthy, after carrying the burden of the West Indies bowling in the first two Tests.
“I’ve played back-to-back Test matches, and my back has been holding up very well,” he said.
“I have been doing a lot of strength work with the trainer, and things have been going well so far.
“If I can keep taking wickets, and keep improving, I believe I will be back to my best quite soon.
“I have to improve my consistency, so hopefully I will be able to put it together even more in the [final Test] and get more wickets.”India lead the three-match series 1-0.

news covered by dawn sports

No comments:

Post a Comment