Monday 20 June 2011

Next time, I will make it count

Khalid Latif


Not long ago he was touted as one of the brightest batting talents in the country. However, three years after making his international debut Khalid Latif finds himself in the wilderness.
At 25, the right handed opening batsman has already spent more than a decade playing first class cricket, yet many feel that he is a finished article.
Latif remains hopeful even though his ten international appearances in One Day and T20 formats have given little impression of his ability.
His best is a hard fought half century against New Zealand in the first match of the controversial three-match ODI series staged in Abu Dhabi in 2009. He scored 64 at the top of the batting order, however failed to repeat the performance in the next two games.
His last appearance at the highest level was at the T20 World Championship in the West Indies last year. Latif played in two matches yet failed to make much of an impression as Pakistan bowed out of the event after a pulsating semi-final against Australia at St.Lucia.
The Karachi-born opener is now eyeing a comeback. He has had a fruitful stint in the domestic season where he scored heavily in the four day and One Day tournaments.
“I have thoroughly enjoyed my limited appearances at the highest level. I feel that I have a lot to offer and can do wonders if given an extended run at my preferred opening slot in the batting order. I have been on the rough end of at least three umpiring decisions which have had an impact on my performances, however, I have put my past behind me. My only aim is to make my next opportunity count big time,” Latif tells Dawn.com in an exclusive interview.
Having played cricket for Malir Gymkhana ever since the start of his career, the right-handed batsmen has been in the company of Rashid Latif, Younis Khan and the now-forgotten Asim Kamal.
For him Rashid Latif, the former Pakistan captain and wicket-keeper, is a mentor who has remained a guiding force for him. But it is Sachin Tendulkar whom he idolises at the international level.
“Tendulkar is easily the best player in the world. My dream is to achieve consistency like him and plunder records at the highest level, and his achievements are an inspiration for me.”
Latif has a strong head on his shoulders and is a thinker with the unique distinction of leading teams at all age groups.
His greatest achievement to date is the 2004 Under-19 World Cup held in Bangladesh. Latif was the captain as Pakistan lifted the trophy. He has fond memories of the event.
“We were the best team in the competition and played like champions through out, I hope that one day I emulate the success at the senior level also.”
He will have a great opportunity to show off his ability and perhaps move the selectors when the National T20 Championship starts on June 24 in Faisalabad.
Latif will be representing the finalists of 2010 edition Karachi Dolphins. As the opener, he feels that the time is rife for him to show the world his true potential.
“I am training hard these days, besides playing regularly to stay match fit. The T20 tournament is the showpiece event of the domestic stage and I hope that I impress the selectors with my performance and take my team to the title.”

news covered by dawn sports

No comments:

Post a Comment